What are the Legal Requirements for fire safety ? Why Do They Matter ?
REGULATORY REFORM (Fire Safety) ORDER 2005 (England & Wales)
The Regulatory Reform (Fire safety) Order 2005 came into effect in October 2006 and replaced over 70 pieces of fire safety law.
This order applies to all non domestic premises in England & Wales , including the common parts of flats and houses in multiple occupation (HMOs). The law applies to you if you are:
1. An employer or self employed with business premises.
2. Responsible for business premises.
3. Responsible for part of a dwelling where that part is solely used for business purposes.
4. A charity or volunteer organisation.
5. A contractor witha degree of control over any premises.
6. Providing accomodation for paying guests.
Please read the following links for more information on the Legal Requirements for fire safety:
Under the above mentioned regulatory reform, the ‘Responsible person’ for your business must carry out a Fire Safety Risk Assesment for your premises. Then you need to impliment and maintain a fire management plan to ensure safety of employees, customers or anyone else using your premises. Not doing this is an offence . The order further states:
Employers should be aware that it is an offence:
* TO FAIL TO COMPLY WITH ANY PROVISIONS OF THE REGULATORY REFORM (Fire Safety) ORDER 2005, IF THAT FALIURE PLACES ONE OR MORE EMPLOYEES AT RISK OF DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY IN THE CASE OF FIRE.
* TO CONTRAVENE ANY REQUIREMENT IMPOSED BY AN ‘ENFORCEMENT ORDER’ ISSUED BY THE FIRE AUTHORITY.
What Is A FIRE Risk Assesment ?
A Fire Risk Assesment is a methodical & comprehensive check of your premises & it’s activities, looking at the likelihood that a fire could start and cause harm to those in and around the premises.
1. It asseses the possible FIRE HAZARDS that could pottentially start fires.
2. It looks at how to minimise the RISKS that arise from those hazards and mitigate them as much as possible.
3. It highlights the Fire precautions needed to manage those risks & gives management the needed information to put processes in place, in order to make sure the people in your premises are safe in the event of a Fire.
What Is A HAZARD? What Is A RISK?
A HAZARD can be best described as anything that has the potential to create harm to people or premises. This potential harm could be measured by ‘Severity’, in otherwords is it Extremely Harmful, Harmful or Slightly Harmful. These factors will influence how the Fire Triangle (Heat+Fuel+Oxygen) is affected by the HAZARD.
A RISK can be best described the chance of that hazard causing harm. This chance can either be Very likely, Likely or Not Likely.
The Fre Risk Assesment is done in order to establish : LIKELIHOOD + SEVERITY = LEVEL OF RISK (Substantial, Trivial, Tolerable, Moderate Intolerable).
How Can We Help ?
R.A.D Fire can provide you witha comprehensive and thorough Risk assesment and a management plan for your organisation/premises. This will meet the Legal Requirements for fire safety.
Our knowledge within the industry can help you meet the Legal Requirements for fire safety. We can then support you with the needed equipment to the legally required standards. By delivering the correct maintanance & servicing for your equipment anuually, we ensure your business will be completely protected & meet all Legal Requirements for fire safety in the UK.
If you are small business battling in the current environment or a large multi-national concerned about cost targets, be assured that meeting Legal Requirements for fire safety will not cost you a fortune. R.A.D Fire has a varied customer base, which works with NHS hospitals on one hand & small pubs & clubs on the other. We have a sister company (R.A.D Fire, Midlands) based in the West Midlands area that can cater to your businesses geographical location.
With a good Fire safety management plan, the correct equipment in the right location, trained employees within your premises and an strong Fire service & maintanance contractor like R.A.D Fire protection, your business will comply to all Legal Requirements for fire safety.
This gives you complete peace of mind to be able to focus on your primary function : Running your business.
Contact us for a Free No Obligation Quote and then compare it. We are a growing organisation with good understanding of the importance of partnerships & long term relationships. Our values & business ethics evolve around providing a ‘value for money service‘ & a comprehensive Fire protection package.